Born in Reno in 1982, Damian R. Sheets has been a native Nevadan his entire life. Having grown up in a law-oriented family, his father was general counsel for Southwest Gas Corporation, chairman of the Nevada State Ethics Commission, chairman of the Nevada State Tax Commission, and general counsel of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. Mr. Sheets developed an early passion for pursuing a career in law. After graduating magna cum laude from the Ohio State University, Mr. Sheets attended law school at the William S. Boyd School of Law at UNLV, where he graduated with his Juris Doctor in 2007.
During his time as a law student, Mr. Sheets clerked for the Honorable Judge Elizabeth Gonzales, worked as a law clerk for Kamer Zucker & Abbot, and externed for the Clark County Public Defender's office. After obtaining his license to practice law, Mr. Sheets opened his own successful practice, DAMIAN R. SHEETS, CHTD., where he represented a multitude of clients, with great success, regarding their criminal and family law issues.
During this same time period, Mr. Sheets served as a primary legal writer for seven local attorneys, drafting appeals and serving as co-counsel at trials. Mr. Sheets also served on the Clark County Indigent Defense panel, representing low income clients on behalf of the State of Nevada. After only two years in private practice, Damian was recognized as a "Nevada Elite: Top 20 Up and Coming Attorney" for the State of Nevada in Nevada Lawyer Magazine, a distinction based solely upon the vote of fellow attorneys and judges.
Mr. Sheets was then hired as a prosecutor for the City of Henderson. During this time, he prosecuted hundreds, if not thousands, of DUI and Domestic Battery cases, and acted as lead attorney for the criminal appeals department. In 2010, Mr. Sheets accepted a position as a partner at Mayfield Gruber & Sheets. Shortly thereafter, Nevada Defense Group was established, where it has experienced steady growth with minimal advertising, relying primarily on word of mouth and positive client feedback.
Mr. Sheets has also acted as lead counsel on many high profile cases and has been trusted by many high profile defendants, including:
- Wealthy Entrepreneurs
- Social Media Influencers
- Police Officers, State Troopers
- Prison Guards
- Corrections Officers
- Court Clerks
- Court Counselors.
In addition to handling all cases ranging from DUI to Murder to Sexual Assault on a Minor, Mr. Sheets often acts as the “go to” Criminal Defense Attorney for KVBC Channel 3 News in Las Vegas. Mr. Sheets has also appeared on NBC, FOX, CBS, and ABC affiliates in Las Vegas and Los Angeles. As a business owner, Mr. Sheets’ businesses have been featured on Entertainment Tonight, CBS Sports National, and in television shows in Japan, Europe, and Netflix in the United States.
Recently, Mr. Sheets was appointed to the State of Nevada Commission on Ethics. There, Mr. Sheets hopes to continue his dedication to ethical and honorable conduct in both government and the private sector. Through his service, Mr. Sheets hopes to ensure that all operations of government continue to conduct themselves under the highest standard, and to be held accountable when they fall below that standard.
Having represented defendants in almost 10,000 cases, Mr. Sheets' track record establishes that he has the skills and experience necessary to provide all criminal defendants with the most vigorous and aggressive defense available. No matter how big or small, Mr. Sheets stands ready and available to provide the best representation possible.
- State Bar of Nevada
- United States District Court–District of Nevada
- United States Court of Appeals–Ninth Circuit
Other jurisdictions where Mr. Sheets has practiced or consulted:
- United States District Court–Southern District of Illinois
- United States District Court–Central District of California
- United States Court of Appeals – Seventh Circuit
Professional Affiliations (Past and Present);
- State of Nevada Commission on Ethics–Board Member
- Nevada Attorneys for Criminal Justice–Member
- Nevada Association of Criminal Defense Layers–President’s Club
- Clark County Office of Appointed Counsel–Indigent Defense Counsel
- United States Criminal Justice Act–Indigent Panel Defense Counsel
Since founding Nevada Defense Group, Mr. Sheets has received recognition for and numerous nominations, invitations, selections for membership, and awards, for the following:
- Newsweek Magazine – October 2012 – Leading Lawyers in Criminal Defense Showcase
- Nevada Business Magazine 2014 – Nevada Elite: Top Up and Coming Attorney
- Nevada Business Magazine 2014 – Nevada Elite: Top Attorney
- National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys 2014 – Top 10 Under 40
- Nevada Business Magazine 2015 – Nevada Elite: Top Attorney
- SuperLawyers Magazine 2015 – Mountain States Rising Star
- American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys 2015 – 10 Best Attorneys: Client Satisfaction
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys 2015 – 10 Best Attorneys: Client Satisfaction
- The National Trial Lawyers 2015 – Top 40 Under 40
- The National Trial Lawyers 2015 – Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys 2015 – Top 10 Under 40
- American Society of Legal Advocates 2015 – Top 40 Under 40
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel – 2015 – Top One Percent
- Nevada Business Magazine 2016 – Nevada Elite: Top Attorney
- SuperLawyers Magazine – 2016 – Mountain States Rising Star
- American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys 2016 – 10 Best Attorneys: Client Satisfaction
- American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys 2016 – 10 Best Under 40
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys 2016 – Top 10 Under 40
- The National Trial Lawyers 2016 – Top 40 Under 40
- The National Trial Lawyers 2016 – Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys 2016 – Top 10 Under 40
- SuperLawyers Magazine 2017 – Mountain States Rising Star
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys 2017 – 10 Best Attorneys: Client Satisfaction
- American Jurist Institute 2017 – Top 10 Criminal Law Attorney
- The National Trial Lawyers 2017 – Top 40 Under 40
- Americas Top 100 2017 – Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorney
- American Society of Legal Advocates 2017 – Top 40 Under 40
- National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys 2017 – Top 10 Under 40
- Americas Top 100 2018 – Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys
- SuperLawyers Magazine 2018 – Mountain States Rising Star
- Lawyers of Distinction 2018 – Lawyer of Distinction
- SuperLawyers Magazine 2019 – Mountain States Rising Star
- Lawyers of Distinction 2019 – Lawyer of Distinction
- SuperLawyers Magazine 2020 – Mountain States Rising Star
- Lawyers of Distinction 2020 – Lawyer of Distinction